Is it OK to create multi-line metric #! COMMENTS?

Is this ok?

#! COMMENTS
license-expiration:
    why: |
        To ensure the optimal performance of a device, 
        it is critical to review the licenses....

Vs. all in one line, like:

#! COMMENTS
license-expiration:
    why: |
        To ensure the optimal performance of a device,  it is critical to review the licenses....

Almost all of the existing IND scripts have the comments a single line, but I see some that don’t. Do we care? I have a new PR with multi-line comments, and just want to know if I should require it to be a single line.

Bump (must be at least 20 characters)

To be clear: I have a vague memory that multiline comments could break .ind scripts. I can’t remember if there were certain circumstances.

In testing, we’re not seeing any problems right now. So, I’m inclined to start asking IKE’s to make their #! COMMENTS multi-line. They’re much easier to read. But, I don’t want to do this if it’s going to cause problems, and I can’t help but think there must be a reason that all of our #! COMMENTS are on a single line.

Anyone?

I usually ask coders to put long comments into multiple lines to make it more readable. After all, YAML supports it. I believe the reason for most of the comments being on one line is that people (including me) doesn’t, or didn’t know YAML very well.

1 Like