Help: eplace the Catalyst 6500 Core Switch with a pair of 9500 Nexus switches

We are going to replace the Catalyst 6500 Core Switch with a pair of 9500 Nexus switches. The Catalyst Core was used as VTP server to propagate the vlan information to the VTP clients. Can I configure the N95k vPC peers as VTP servers? I cannot find the relevant command although I have enabled the VTP feature. I would appreciate a quick response because it is urgent.

Hello Annette,

No, N9k series switches do not support the VTP server option. The N9k series switches support only VTP transparent mode till the latest NX-OS release. You can find below the relevant link https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/7-x/layer2/configuration/guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_Layer_2_Switching_Configuration_Guide_7x/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_Layer_2_Switching_Configuration_Guide_7x_chapter_0101.html

So, in your case either you will setup all the switches to VTP transparent mode or set as VTP server another switch which before was VTP client. The change from VTP client to server does not have any impact.

Hope that helps!