Cisco ASA critical vulnerability - CVSS score 10/10 published today by cisco - alert?

It was officially published today a vulnerability for the CISCO ASA with the highest level of severity and the highest CVSS score 10/10 (CVE-2018-0101).

In particular, a vulnerability in the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) VPN functionality of the Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance (ASA) Software could allow an unauthenticated, remote attacker to cause a reload of the affected system or to remotely execute code.

This vulnerability affects Cisco ASA Software that is running on the following Cisco products:

• 3000 Series Industrial Security Appliance (ISA)
  • ASA 5500 Series Adaptive Security Appliances
  • ASA 5500-X Series Next-Generation Firewalls
  • ASA Services Module for Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Switches and Cisco 7600 Series Routers
  • ASA 1000V Cloud Firewall
  • Adaptive Security Virtual Appliance (ASAv)
  • Firepower 2100 Series Security Appliance
  • Firepower 4110 Security Appliance
  • Firepower 9300 ASA Security Module
  • Firepower Threat Defense Software (FTD)

I would like to see indeni platform to react instantly to such critical issues and to trigger alerts when similar serious issues raise, especially when this info cannot be provided via SNMP or LOG.

Further details about this CVE, with information that would be used for the creation of the ind/scala scripts and remediation steps, can be found below:

https://tools.cisco.com/security/center/content/CiscoSecurityAdvisory/cisco-sa-20180129-asa1

"I would like to see indeni platform to react instantly to such critical issues and to trigger alerts when similar serious issues raise, especially when this info cannot be provided via SNMP or LOG."

Agreed! I get excited about the potential of Indeni to have a positive impact on organizations by allowing them to proactively, and quickly, automate their systems to respond to continuously evolving/emerging threats.

Hi Vasilis,

Thank you for your post. Cisco ASA is on our roadmap. I'll add a jira ticket for this.

A very nice article explaining how to identify if your Cisco ASA firewall is affected by this critical vulnerability and which software version in grapical format to get for upgrade:

https://blogs.cisco.com/security/cve-2018-0101?lipi=urn%3Ali%3Apage%3Ad_flagship3_feed%3BjewRgiYOQnetXC5PtVHqgQ%3D%3D

Hi Ulrica!
I think now it is a good time to include this critical metric to ASA phase 2
@Josh_He what do you think?

1 Like

@Vasileios_Bouloukos Can you create a ticket and add it to the phase 2 epic. We will see if we can fit that in.